The Rockefeller Park Greenhouse had its origins more than a century ago. The first plans for the City Garden, as it was originally called, were presented in 1902. Three years later the first units were completed on a portion of the 200 plus acres donated to the City by John D. Rockefeller.
Initially, the Greenhouse was used only to grow plants for landscaping City Parks and Gardens. While City beautification is still a major goal, the Greenhouse and grounds have evolved into a botanical garden with specialty plant collections, seasonal floral displays, outdoor classrooms, and theme gardens.